JOHN HENRY’S RESORT & MARINA
JH Marina & Resort Inc. (“John Henry’s”) takes the issue of safeguarding your privacy seriously. This Privacy Notice describes the information we collect from our accommodation, Store, moorage and Café guests. Information is collected in person, over the phone, and through our website (online and mobile). We use this information to better serve your needs and recognize that through these interactions, you, our customers, entrust us with their personal information.
What is personal information?
Personal information is any information about you as an identifiable individual. The personal information that we process includes:
- Identity information – such as your name, and potentially publicly available photographs;
Contact information – such as your home address, zip/postal code, email address and phone number;
- Financial information – such as your credit card details, your itemized spending and transaction history;
- Reservation information – such as the type and location of the homes or cottages you reserve and the dates of your reservations;
- Health information – where disclosed and relevant to the provision of services;
- Preference information – such as special requests, service issues and other preferences for your stay;
- Public information – such as when we review public platforms to understand what you are saying about us;
- Technical information – such as information about the device you use to interact with us (including the unique device identifier, hardware model, operating system and version, and mobile network information, in the case of our mobile App); and
- Correspondence information – when you contact us, such as to send an enquiry or make a request, any correspondence or application may be kept and added to your personal information.
How do we use your personal information?
For each of the categories of personal information described above, we use your personal information for the following purposes:
- to enable you to use our website and our mobile App;
- to help us identify you and any accounts you hold with us;
- to provide superior customer service to you;
- to assist us in making your reservation and providing the services you request in any part of our business;
- to process transactions through our website (including taking payment for purchases you may make through our website) and to assist in any inquiries about your transaction;
- for billing purposes in relation to your stay with us;
- to confirm prior transactions and reconcile statements or invoices;
- to contact you in relation to matters that arise from your stay with us;
- to send you newsletters regarding our properties and to advise you of promotions or to inform you of offers or other information that may be of interest to you (if, where required, you separately provide your consent for us to do so);
- to respond to a specific “Information Request” from you about any part of our business and deal with any other enquiries, correspondence, concerns or complaints you have raised;
- to analyse customer trends and insights; and
- to operate our business, including for internal purposes such as auditing, data analysis, statistical and research purposes and troubleshooting to help us improve our services.
On what basis do we use your personal information?
We use your personal information on the following basis:
- to comply with legal and regulatory obligations, including financial reporting requirements imposed by government regulators and our auditors;
- to enter into agreements with you, and to perform our agreement to provide services to you when you stay with us;
- for legitimate business purposes – using your personal information helps us to operate and improve our business and minimise any disruption to the services that we may offer to you. It also allows us to make our communications with you more relevant and personalised to you, and to make your experience of our services more efficient and effective;
- because you have given your consent – at times we may ask for your consent to allow us to use your personal information for one or more purposes. See the Your Rights section for more information about the rights that you have if we process your information based on your consent; or
- for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims or proceedings.
How and from what sources is personal information collected?
For each of the categories of personal information and purposes described above, we collect your personal information while monitoring our technology tools and services, including comment cards and email communications sent to and from John Henry’s.
Otherwise, we gather information when you provide it to us, or interact with us directly, for example:
- when you create a profile or sign in to access an existing profile on our website or App;
- when you make a purchase through our website;
- when you make a reservation online, by calling us to make a reservation or inquire about any of our services, including in our General Store and Café.; and
- during your stay in one of our cottages or homes, in our marina, or in our RV or Campsite area, including information provided during check-in.
We may combine information that we have about you from various sources, including the information that you have provided to us.
How do we protect personal information?
We use a variety of security measures and technologies to help protect your personal information from unauthorised access, use, disclosure, alteration or destruction, consistent with applicable data protection and privacy laws. For example, we allow only encrypted communications from all our web forms, including when you provide your credit card information through our website.
Each part of John Henry’s business stores personal information in a secure location and we take steps to ensure that only designated individuals have access to this information.
We endeavor to protect the privacy of your account and other personal information that we hold in our records, but unfortunately, we cannot guarantee complete security. Unauthorized entry or use, hardware or software failure, and other factors, may compromise the security of user information. Also, while we endeavor to put adequate contractual protections in place, we cannot guarantee the security of any personal information in databases hosted by third parties.
It is important to note that any e-mail communication is not secure. This is a risk inherent in the use of e-mail. Please be aware of this when requesting information or sending forms to us by e-mail (for example, from the “Contact Us” section of our website). We recommend that you do not include any confidential information (i.e. credit card information) when using e-mail. For your protection, our e-mail responses to you will not include any confidential information.
Finally, to be prudent, please be sure to always close your browsers when you are done using a form or the reservation site. Although the session will terminate after a short period of inactivity, it is best to close your browsers immediately upon completion, especially if you are using a public computer.
Will personal information be provided to third parties?
We do not and will not sell your personal information.
For each of the categories of personal information, source of information and purposes described above, we may share certain of your personal information with:
- other parts of our operation. For example, if you are a cottage guest, some of your information may be shared with, say, our General Store.;
- a prospective buyer or investor if we sell a part of the business or its assets;
- analytics and search engine providers that assist John Henry’s in the improvement and optimisation of the website and our mobile App;
- our professional advisors and auditors; and
- local or foreign regulators, governments, courts, law enforcement and national security authorities.
You may advise the hotel if you do not want personal preferences shared.
Where a third party is engaged by John Henry’s to provide services on our behalf, John Henry’s ensures these parties protect your personal information in a manner consistent with the principles articulated in this Privacy Notice.
If you have chosen to join a subscription list, please note that this list is only used for internal purposes and we do not sell or rent our subscription list to anyone.
If John Henry’s suspects any unlawful activity is taking place, it may investigate and/or report its findings or suspicions to the police or other relevant law enforcement agency.
Transfers of your personal information outside your home country
Your personal information may be processed by John Henry’s and its trusted third-party suppliers anywhere in the world, including in countries where data privacy laws may not be equivalent to, or as protective as, the laws in your home country.
Your personal information may be stored in our reservation system, our accounting system or in our General Store customer profile system. All our systems are cloud based, with data storage and online security the responsibility of our third-party suppliers.
We will implement appropriate measures to ensure that your personal information remains protected and secure when it is transferred to outside cloud-based systems.
Accessing, correcting or deleting your personal information
We understand that you may like to know what personal information we hold about you, or to correct or delete certain information we hold about you. We are happy to assist you with your request.
To protect your personal information, we require that you prove your identity to us at the time your request is made. This may involve providing us with information which we hold on file about you (e.g. a home or business address), or we may require you to produce some form of photo or government issued identification.
John Henry’s reserves the right to decline a request to access, correct or delete your personal information under certain circumstances as permitted by law. There may be a variety of legitimate business reasons why we may be unable to delete your personal information and where we are permitted to decline your request to delete your information.
If we decline your request, you will be provided with the reasons.
You may also be entitled to:
- request the restriction of the processing of your personal information, or object to that processing;
- opt out from processing of your personal information for direct marketing purposes;
- withdraw your consent to the processing of your personal information (where John Henry’s is processing your personal information based on your consent); and
- request the receipt or transmission to another organisation, in machine-readable form, of the personal information you have provided to John Henry’s.
You have the right to be free from discrimination (e.g. you will not be penalised) in relation to the exercise of your privacy rights under this privacy notice.
Where you are given the option to share personal information with John Henry’s, you can always choose not to do so.
If you do not wish to receive marketing information from John Henry’s, you may indicate your wishes when you register for your accommodation, moorage or RV or campsite. If you choose to join John Henry’s General Store Fuel Dock Loyalty program and do not wish to receive marketing information from us, please send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. You always can accept or decline any form of communication from John Henry’s. You may unsubscribe from electronic marketing communications at any time by selecting the “unsubscribe” link included in such communications.
If you object to the processing of your personal information, or if you have provided your consent to processing and you later choose to withdraw it, we will respect that choice in accordance with our legal obligations.
This could mean that we are unable to perform the actions necessary to achieve the purposes of processing described above (see ‘How do we use your personal information?’) or that you are unable to make use of the services offered by us.
After you have chosen to withdraw your consent John Henry’s may be able to continue to process your personal information to the extent required or otherwise permitted by law.
If at any time you wish to exercise any of these rights, you can do so as follows:
- Via e-mail to: email@example.com
- By calling us and asking to speak to Allyson Nelson. Please call: 604-883-2336, Ext 2
- via letter to:
Attention: Allyson Nelson
JH Marina & Resort Inc.
PO Box 68
Garden Bay, BC V0N 1S0
You may make a request through an authorised agent (such as a lawyer). We may request evidence of their authority to act on your behalf.
How long is my personal information retained?
Your personal information will be stored for the period of time required by law in British Columbia. This may involve retaining information following your stay. We will delete your personal information once it is no longer required for any of the purposes described above.
We will also keep your personal information where we need to do so in connection with a legal action or an investigation involving John Henry’s.
Any financial information John Henry’s retains will be protected under the terms of this Privacy Notice.
What laws apply to this notice?
JH Marina & Resort Inc. does business in British Columbia, Canada. We are a British Columbia corporation incorporated under the laws of the Province of British Columbia, Canada. As such, Canada’s and British Columbia’s Personal Information Protection Acts apply to John Henry’s. We apply the requirements of these laws (and any other applicable laws) to how we handle all personal information wherever received. All transfers of personal information between countries will be subject to the terms of this Privacy Notice and in compliance with these laws.
If you have additional questions regarding the law or if you feel we have not treated your personal information appropriately, you may contact The Privacy Commissioner of Canada at the following address:
The Office of the Information & Privacy
Commissioner of British Columbia
PO Box 9038 Stn. Prov Govt.
Victoria, BC V8W 9A4
Phone: (250) 387-5629
Web site: https://www.oipc.bc.ca/
You may also have the right to complain to the local data privacy supervisory authority in your home country.
When you visit our web site www.johnhenrys.ca you are initially given a “cookie”, and your computer is assigned an ID number. A cookie is a commonly used piece of software that tracks an individual user’s preferences ands capable of enhancing your visit to our web site.
Cookies allow us to provide a customized experience without you having to remind us of your preferences each time you visit our site.
The ID number allows us to log your session, so that we may better assist you should you need some individualized service or support. Once you enter personal information on the web site, we associate your ID number with your contact information so we can recognize you on a future visit. We also use it to keep track of information that appears to be of interest to you.
If you log in as a registered user, our cookies may collect personal information for marketing purposes and to make content on www.johnhenrys.ca more relevant and easier to use. We do not share your activity on www.johnhenrys.ca with other third parties, nor do we collect information from other websites you may visit.
To find out more about how John Henry’s may use your personal information, please see our Privacy Notice.
1. Strictly Necessary Operations
These cookies are strictly necessary to allow us to operate John Henry’s website, online services or interactive applications. If you do block them through your browser settings, we cannot guarantee how our website, online service or interactive applications will perform for you.
Please note these cookies do not gather any information about you that could be used for marketing or tracking your browsing history on other websites, services or applications.
For example, we use functional cookies to remember personal information such as your language preference when you visit our websites to make your experience more convenient and personal.
These cookies are not strictly necessary, but can enhance your experience.
- analyse the performance of our sites;
- maintain, operate, and continually improve our sites; and
- collect and maintain aggregate web site data (such as the number of visitors to a site), which helps us see which areas are popular with our users and which are not. Among other things, this helps us improve and update the site, based on such data as total number of visitors and pages viewed.
For example, we may obtain information from communications you request, including whether you opened or forwarded an email or clicked on any of its content. This tells us about our communications’ effectiveness and helps us deliver information that you find interesting.
These cookies are not strictly necessary.
4. Managing your cookie settings
If you do not want to accept cookies, you can block them by adjusting the settings on your internet browser. Please note that because this is a setting on your browser, this adjustment may also block cookies for any website you visit. You can visit www.aboutcookies.org, which provides detailed information on managing cookies in popular browsers.
5. Third Party Advertising and Online Behavioural Advertising
You may be provided with advertisements for John Henry’s on third-party websites and mobile services based on your online behaviour.
6. Opt Out of Online Behavioural Advertising
When a John Henry’s online behavioural advertisement is delivered to you, you will see an “Ad Choices” icon. Clicking on the icon or link will take you to a website where you can manage or opt out of the use of data about your browsing history that is used for the delivery of online behavioural advertising.
On your mobile device, you may also have a “Limit Ad Tracking” setting (in iOS devices) or a setting to “Opt out of Interest-Based Ads” (on Android), which allows you to limit the use of information about your use of apps for purposes of serving ads targeted to your interests.
If you opt out, you may still see advertisements online, including advertisements from John Henry’s that are based on other information (e.g., based on the content of the page being viewed rather than your prior web-browsing activity).
In some cases, data may still be collected about your browsing activity by third-party advertisers after you have opted out, but they will not use this data to deliver advertisements that are based on your past online browsing behaviour.
To learn more about the choices that advertisers provide generally for individuals to influence how information about their online activities over time and across third-party websites or online services is collected and used, visit:
- the Network Advertising Initiative at: http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp;
- the Digital Advertising Alliance at http://www.aboutads.info/ ; or
- the European Digital Advertising Alliance at http://youronlinechoices.eu/.